What Are Period Cramps? How to treat the period cramps by natural home remedies? In this article we are listing 12 best natural home remedies for period cramps – causes, symptoms and prevention tips for period cramps. Period cramps are medically called Dysmenorrhea. Period cramps occur due to contraction and relaxation of uterine muscles during menstrual cycle. Now you do not need to worry because here are effective listings of home remedies that are helpful to get relieve from period cramps very fast. Keep reading to know more about period cramps symptoms, causes and its treatment.
Common Causes of Period Cramps
- Heavy blood flow during menstrual cycle
- Having first baby
- Overproduction of prostaglandin
- Started period during young age of below 20
Common Symptoms of Period Cramps
- Cramping ache in lower abdomen
- Pain in lower back
- Mild diarrhea
- Fatigue and dizziness
How to Get Relieve from Period Cramps
1) Lavender Oil for Period Cramps
Lavender essential oil is one of the best natural home remedy to treat the period cramps. Lavender oil contains anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties which help to get relieve from period cramps naturally and effectively.
- Take few drops lavender oil and 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Mix these two oils properly
- Gently apply this mixture on lower abdomen and back
- Repeat this process 2-3 times in a day for fast relief from period cramps
2) Chamomile Tea for Period Cramps
Chamomile tea is very effective natural way to treat the period cramps quickly. Chamomile tea contains anti-inflammatory properties that are helpful to reduce the inflammation and pain during menstrual cycle. Chamomile is also beneficial to get the relaxation of uterine muscles.
- Take 1 chamomile tea bag, honey and 1 cup hot water
- Now soak chamomile tea bag in a cup of hot water
- Steep this for 10 minutes
- Keep aside to be cool
- Mix little honey in this solution
- Drink this effective tea
- Repeat this natural drink twice in a day
3) Green Tea for Period Cramps
Green tea is most popular natural drink for weight loss but this is also very beneficial to treat the period cramps and its symptoms. Green tea contains natural antioxidant analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties, which are helpful to provide relieve from pain and inflammation of period cramps.
- Take 1 teaspoon of green tea leaves, honey and 1 cup of water
- Boil the green tea leaves in water for 5 minutes
- Strain and keep it to be cool
- Mix little honey properly
- Drink this effective natural tea
- Repeat thrice in a day
4) Ginger for Period Cramps
Ginger is very popular natural home remedy for period cramps. Ginger contains anti-inflammatory properties which help to reduce the pain and inflammation of period cramps. Ginger is also helpful to treat various health related problems.
- Take piece of ginger, honey and 1 cup of hot water
- Steep ginger in a cup of hot water for 10 minutes
- Keep aside to be cool
- Mix honey in this solution and consume
- Repeat this tea thrice in a day
5) Pickle Juice for Period Cramps
Pickle juice is another great home remedy to treat the period cramps. Pickle juice contains high sodium content which helps to provide relieves from period cramps. Use this remedy as describe below and treat your period cramps quickly. Please remember that does not intake pickle juice with empty stomach.
- Take half cup pickle juice
- Consume half cup of pickle juice
- Repeat once in a day to get relieve from period cramps
6) Vitamin D for Period Cramps
Vitamin D is very effective solution for getting relief from menstrual pain and cramps. Vitamin D helps to reduce the prostaglandin production which is the reason of period cramps. You need to include the food and fruits containing vitamin D such as fish, cheese, egg yolks, orange juice, and cereals. Include these in your daily diets and get rid of period cramps or menstrual pain and inflammation.
7) Yogurt for Period Cramps
Yogurt is very effective home remedy to reduce the menstrual pain or period cramps. Yogurt contains calcium and good amount of vitamin D. Regular intake of yogurt helps to reduce the period cramps.
- Take 1 cup plain yogurt
- Consume a bowl of plain yogurt
- Repeat thrice in a day
8) Epsom Salt for Period Cramps
Epsom salt is one of the best home remedy to treat the period cramps. Epsom salt is also called magnesium sulfate. Epsom salt contains anti-inflammatory and pain relieving properties that help to reduce the pain and inflammation associated with period cramps.
- Take 1 cup Epsom salt and Bathwater
- Mix this properly
- Now soak in the bathwater for half an hour
- Does this for 3 days before periods begin?
9) Fenugreek Seeds for Period Cramps
Fenugreek seeds are effective natural home remedy to treat the period cramps. Fenugreek seeds contain lysine and tryptophan-rich proteins. Fenugreek also containing analgesic and pain relieving properties which help to reduce period cramps or menstrual pain.
- Take 2 teaspoons fenugreek seeds and glass of water
- Soak these seeds in a glass of water for overnight
- Consume this in morning with empty stomach
- Repeat once daily before starting your period
10) Foot Massage for Period Cramp
Foot massage is very easy and simple method to get relieve from period cramps. Pressure point on your foot helps to get quick relief from period cramps or menstrual pain. Pressure point is located about three finger widths above ankle bone. Do the massage on this point and get the instant relieve from period cramps and its symptoms.
11) Aloe Vera Juice for Period Cramps
Aloe Vera juice is very effective natural home remedy to treat the period cramps or menstrual pain. Aloe Vera contains healing and anti-inflammatory properties which help to relieve painful period cramps.
- Take half cup of aloe Vera juice
- Drink this once daily
- Repeat it for few days
12) Lemon Juice for Period Cramps
Lemon is very effective natural home remedy to treat the period cramps. Lemon contains anti-inflammatory properties which help to provide relief from period cramps. Lemon is very rich in vitamin C that is good for your reproductive system.
- Take half lemon, honey and 1 glass of water
- Squeeze lemon into a glass of warm water
- Add honey and mix properly
- Consume this solution
- Repeat this once every morning with empty stomach
Important Preventive Tips for Period Cramps or Menstrual Pain
- Take healthy and balanced diet
- Avoid caffeine and alcohol
- Reduce consumption of sweet and salty foods
- Exercise daily
- Don’t take stress
- Avoid smoke
- Do meditation and yoga
- Drink plenty of water
- Drink fresh juices
You can get the relieve from period cramps by using these home remedies, you should also follow the given prevention tips to avoid the menstrual pain or period cramps. In this article you have read about 12 best natural home remedies for period cramps – causes, symptoms and prevention tips for period cramps. Please share this post to your friends and known ones so that they can also get the advantage of these remedies for relieving the period cramps quickly. Also kindly share on facebook, twitter and whatsapp as well.