An ingrown toenail is also known as onychocryptosis, is a common issue. Side edge of a toenail grows nearby skin. Main causes of ingrown toenails are wearing tight-fitting shoes, improper trimming of nails, a nail injury. Other causes for toenail are people suffering from diabetes, blood circulation issue which can generate the pain and discomfort.
Symptoms of ingrown toenail are pain, redness and swelling. Signs of ingrown toenail infection are redness and swelling around the nail, drainage of pus and watery discharge with blood.
There are many treatment ways to deal with an ingrown nail at home. Here are few natural home remedies for ingrown toenail.
Home Remedies for Ingrown Toenails
Warm Water Soak
Warm water is very effective way to treat the ingrown nail. Soak for few minutes in a warm water will help very effectively for ingrown nail infection. This method helps to provide relief from the swelling, pain and redness.
- Take a foot tub and fill it with warm water.
- Soak the affected feet in it for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Repeat this method for 3 to 4 times a day.
Epsom salt which is also known as magnesium sulphate is other main effective for ingrown toenails. Epsom salt helps to soften the skin of affected area. Mix 1 tablespoon of Epsom salt in a foot tub filled with warm water.
- Soak your feet in this solution for 20 minutes.
- Remove from water and dry your feet thoroughly.
- Repeat this remedy 3 or 4 times a week.
Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is also helpful natural remedy for ingrown toenails. Apple cider vinegar has antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties.
- Take equal amounts of apple cider vinegar and warm water.
- Mix these in a small foot tub.
- Soak the infected toenail in this solution for half an hour.
- Let it be dry thoroughly.
- This method will provide the relief from the swelling and pain due to ingrown toenail.
Hydrogen peroxide is also and effective home remedy that helps to reduce the infection and relieve the pain caused by an ingrown toenail.
- Take 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide and mix in small tub of warm water.
- Then soak the infected toenail area in this mixture for half an hour.
- Repeat this method for twice in a day.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is another antiseptic remedy that can help to relieve pain and reduce the risk of infection due to an ingrown toenail.
- Take 1 or 2 drops of tea tree oil and 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
- Mix them well and apply it on the ingrown toenail.
- Make sure you need to cover it after apply the solution.
- Repeat this two three times in a day for few days.
Turmeric is also well know natural home remedies for ingrown toenail problem. Turmeric has the antibiotic property which help to reduce the pain and swelling due to the ingrown toenail infection.
- Take 1 teaspoon of turmeric and mustard oil.
- Prepare the thick paste with these.
- Put the paste on the affected toenail and cover it.
- Repeat this method for 2-3 times in a day for few days.