Croup is a common issue occur by infection in the toddlers. Croup can caused by bacteria, allergies, but mainly caused by a virus. The main virus is parainfluenza virus. Croup generally occurs in the children between ages of 6 months to 3 years. Although a child can get croup at any age.
This is generally starts in cold season. The children suffer with runny nose, cough etc. We have listed some more symptoms of croup in toddlers.
Symptoms of Croup in Children
- A cough that sounds like a bark
- Hoarse Voice
- Swollen Lymph Nodes
- Noisy Breathing
- Eye Redness
- Difficulty Swallowing
Please remember if the symptoms go more than 4-5 days then you have to go to the doctor.
Causes of Croup in Children
Main cause of croup in toddlers is a virus infection. The toddler’s contacts with virus by breathing infected respiratory sneezed in the air. The virus can be reach through toys. Generally kids touch the contaminated surface and also touch their nose or mouth or eyes by which infection generated.
Here are the top 10 home remedies to treat the croup in the children.
Home Treatments For Croup in Children
Warm Steam is one of the best home remedies to get rid of croup. Warm steam is very effective to make breathing easier.
- Open the hot water shower in the washroom and shut the door.
- Leave the door close till the steam filled.
- Now spend some time with your child in steam filled bathroom.
- Never leave the child alone.
- Do this for half an hour and repeat as needed.
Sponge bath is also very helpful to treat the croup, especially when the child has a fever. The sponge bath with cold water helps to reduce the body temperature. After sponge bath the child feel relax and comfortable.
- Take a cloth and dip into the cool water.
- Wring out the excess water and then apply on child’s armpits, feet, and hands.
- Repeat this method thrice in a day.
- You can place the wet cloth on the forehead of child. This will help to reduce the fever.
If the toddler has croup then you have to prevent dehydration to reduce breathing problems. This is very important to keep the body hydrated because the fluid can help to prevent symptoms of croup. You need to give small amount of fluids to the child.
- You can give Water and breast milk to small kids.
- The soup and fruit pops as well as water are better for older children
- Many fruit juice like apple juice or the herbal teas are very helpful to get rid of croup in the children.
Use the essential oil for chest massage of the child suffers with croup. The massage with essential oil helps to relax muscles and provide relief from croup. This will very effective to help breathing easily.
- Take few drops of eucalyptus essential oil and half cup warm olive oil.
- Mix these oils well.
- Gently massage with this oil on the chest of child.
- Give this massage at bed time.
- Alternatively you can take few drops of oregano oil in 2 tablespoons of jojoba oil.
- Mix these well and rub on the chest at bed time.
- The massage helps to promote the relaxation and give the good sleep.