An eye infection is a very common problem that can affect people of any age. The infection can be due to bacteria, viruses, allergies or other microbiological means and can affect one or both eyes. But these days, people usually ignore their eye’s health by exposing their precious eyes to various harmful pollutants.
One of the biggest harm caused to the eyes is by the prolonged use of their eyes in front of the computers. Yes, some people spend long hours either in front of their television sets or computer screen and invite many eye problems.
Eye infections are very common and can occur almost in any season. And there can be a number of different causes for the development of the various types of eye infections. Some well known infections caused to the eyes are: Conjunctivitis (Pink eyes), Blepharitis, Stye (Hordeolum), Orbital Cellulitis, Dacryocystitis, and Keratitis (Corneal Ulcers).
Symptoms of Eye Infection
You can experience symptoms of eye infection depending upon the type of infection you have been afflicted with. Some of the most common eye infection symptoms may include persistent itching, redness of eyes, excessive formation of tear, chronic red eyes, discharge from the eyes, flaking of the eyes, pain in the eyes, swelling in the eyelids, blurred vision, watery eyes, photophobia, feeling of discomfort in the eyes, feeling as if a foreign particle has entered into the eyes, etc.
In case of severe discomfort and problems in the eyes, immediate medical help is recommended. But in case of minor eye infections natural remedies as well as home remedies can be tried in the beginning in order to get relief from the infection. Some common home remedies for eye infection have been mentioned below.
Best Home Remedies for Eye Infection
1. Swelling of eyes caused due to stye can also be treated with turmeric powder. Prepare a solution by mixing 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder in nearly two cups of clean and pure water.
When turmeric powder gets properly mixed in water, you can start using this solution as an eye drop. Put a few drops of this solution in your eyes at last thrice daily until the swelling is reduced.
2. Another home remedy for eye infection called stye is the hot compress. This remedy is comparatively easy to follow and it also gives you quick relief from the swelling. In order to get relief from swelling in the eyes, caused by stye, you just need to use hot compress on the enlarged lump.
3. You can deal with eye infections including stye by preparing a natural eye wash for your eyes at home. Preparation of eye wash involves the use of coriander seeds and water. Simply take a cup of clean water and add to it 1 tsp of coriander seeds and boil it for some time.
And after it cools down, you can use this natural eye wash to cleanse your eyes and eliminate any kind of infections because of the antibacterial properties of the coriander seeds. This remedy is especially beneficial in treating stye.
4. Stye is a common eye infection in which the patient develops a tiny lump inside the eyelid or at the base of an eyelash. This eye infection can be treated at home in different ways. One simple home remedy for stye is to use tea bags.
You have to soak a tea bag in tepid water and then place this moist tea bag on the specific stye. Let the tea bag remain placed on your stye for a few minutes and then remove it. Tea contains a crucial ingredient called tannic acid, which works upon the stye and makes it to shrink in size. Carry on this home remedy until your stye gets completely dried up.
5. Conjunctivitis i.e. Pink Eye is another common eye infection that can be treated with a home remedy. In this type of eye infection, mild to severe irritation occurs in the eyes that often lead to redness of the eyes. Conjunctivitis is an air-borne disease and hence a lot of care and precaution should be taken while treating this eye infection.
It is also highly contagious and hence should be treated as soon as possible. One way to get rid of the pink eye is to make a warm compress using rose oil, lavender oil and chamomile oil. Warm compress thus made and used on your eyes, will help you in reducing the pain and irritation.
6. Another effective home remedy for conjunctivitis is the use of jasmine flowers. You will need a jar of distilled water and a few clean jasmine flowers (7 to 8 in numbers). Put these jasmine flowers into the jar of distilled water, cover the jar and then let it remain undisturbed for whole night.
You can start using this water as an eye drop from the next morning. Use it for minimum 3 times a day to get relief from the symptoms of conjunctivitis.
7. If you experience burning sensation in your eyes then you can treat it at home with tea bags. Just soak 2 tea bags for a few second, in cold water and then keep them on your closed eyelids. This remedy will provide cooling effect on your eyes and will eliminate the burning sensation.
8. Honey is another excellent home remedy for eye infection. Similar to the Aloe Vera juice, honey too contains many medicinal as well as healing properties and hence is very effective against the eye infections.
You can put 1 to 2 drops of honey directly into your eyes or can also make relaxing and soothing eyewash. Boil 2 cups of water and about 2 teaspoon of honey and then let the mixture cool down.
9. Aloe Vera acts as an excellent home remedy for eye infections. Aloe Vera contains amazing medicinal properties and hence helps in healing the symptoms caused by eye infection.
For soothing your eyes and treating eye infections, you should soak some fresh juice of Aloe Vera in a small piece of clean cloth and place it over your eyes to get the desired benefits. Use this remedy for nearly 5 times a day to get rid of eye infection.